WOMEN EMPOWERMENT CELL (WEC)
WOMEN EMPOWERMENT CELL ACTIVITIES
- DR.V. Jayanthini, MBBS, MD, DPM,HOD - Pediatrics & Psychiatry, Institute of Child Health & Hospital, inaugurated the cell and gave a guest lecture on “Women and child care”.
- Women Empowerment cell, AVIT arranged an one day workshop on Artificial Jewellery making for rural women “,Mrs.Poornima Satheesh,Juz thread creations trained around 50 rural women in and around AVIT. Madam Chancellor Dr.Anuradha Ganesan presided over the Inauguration.
- Women Empowerment cell, AVIT arranged an one day workshop on “Opportunities and challenges for women entrpreneurs in India” by Mrs.Jaishree Krishnan, Propreitor, D’Organica Farming , Chennai on 14th November 2016.
- Dr.S.P.Sangeetha,Convenor,WEC and Dr.Jennifer GJoseph Co Convenor,WEC has started an organic farming in AVIT campus with Medicinal plants,fruits,flowering plants and vegetables to create an awareness about Organic farming and its health benefits.
- Women’s day celebrations by the women Empowerment cell was held on March 8th 2017.Mrs.Vanitha ,DIG,Coastal Security force and Mrs.Sona Prakash ,MD,Drizzles were invited as Chief Guest.Various competitions for faculty and students were conducted and prizes were awarded to the winners.Dr.Giri Rengasamy ,Dean ,CSR was invited as the special guest.
- The Women Empowerment Cell of AVIT organized a special program to honour the Thai delegates on 23/3/2017. This session was organized by Dr. S.P Sangeetha, coordinator, WEC and Dr. Jennifer G Joseph, Co-coordinator, WEC. The WEC honoured Dr. Sukruedee Sukchai, Director, School of Renewable Energy Technology (SERT), Naresuan University, Thailand and Ms. Pornpimol Sugandhavanija, Deputy Consul – General, Royal Thai Consulate – general, Chennai with special women achiever’s award at the international level.A cultural event to showcase the varied rich Indian culture was organized. The college band performed a melody of songs from the North-East states of India. This was followed by a Nepali dance performed by Ms. Monika Kapoor of II year Civil. Ms. Sowmiya of III year ECE performed Barathanatiyam and Ms. Priya and team performed a skit to create awareness about women harassment and society’s responsibility towards safety of women. Ms. Sunkritha of I year Mechatronics performed Ruthrathandavam, a complicated dance from Barathanatiyam. The delegates enjoyed the show and appreciated the performances. A special mention was made of the skit and the delegates promised their support for empowerment of women. Ms. Sunkritha met the delegates in person was congratulated for her performance and expertise in Baratham. The WEC thanked Dr. Giri Rengasamy for her guidance in arranging the program.
- Women Empowerment cell, AVIT in association with Rexona, one of India’s most trusted brands from Hindustan Unilever Limited has organised a program on March 29th 2017.titled “Rexona Confidence training” teaching the importance of Grooming and Confidence exclusively for all our girl students .They had also given gift hampers to all our girl students and lady faculty.
- The women Empowerment cell(WEC),AVIT organised an one day workshop on SELF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES” in association with KUMUDAM SNEHIDIHI and PIDILITE at Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Technology on 11th August 2017.The participants were trained on Jute bag embroidery and shilpkar jewellery. MRS.JAYSHREE NARAYANAN & MRS.UMAKRISHNAN ,Fevicryl Certified Specialists Pidilite Industries limited were the trainers.
- The women Empowerment cell(WEC),AVIT organised an one day workshop on Baking and Confectionery" on 21.11.17 at AVIT. Ms.S.Meenashi Kannan(AP), Department of Biotechnology, D.G.Vaishnav College, (Proprietor – Vignesh coco world ) and Ms.Priscilla Kalaimugil were the Trainers for the workshop. Our faculty ,students and rural women in and around Paiyanoor village also participated in the workshop. Handouts on cake,smoothie recipes and certificates were issued to all participants. The participants appreciated the efforts taken by the WEC in promoting entrepreneurs.
- Women Empowerment cell, AVIT in association with Rexona, one of India’s most trusted brands from Hindustan Unilever Limited has organised a program on February 12th 2018.titled “Rexona Confidence training” teaching the importance of Grooming and Confidence exclusively for all our girl students .They had also given gift hampers to all our girl students and lady faculty.
- Vinayaka Missions Research Foundation celebrated Women’s Day, 2018 on a grand scale on 10/3/2018 in AVIT campus. The event was presided over by Dr. A. S. Ganesan, Honourable Chancellor- VMRF who in his presidential address motivated women to achieve greater success in their life. Dr. Anuradha Ganesan, Director, VMRF in her special address highlighted the achievements of women and contribution of women to society in the last few decades. Furthermore, she stressed upon the fact that each woman has to first understand her true strength to attain their full potential. As part of honouring women achievers, Padmashree Dr. Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan was conferred the Vinayaka Mission’s Woman Excellence award by the honourable Chancellor Dr. A. S. Ganesan. Mrs. Kotravai, Tamil writer and Activist was awarded the Vinayaka Mission’s Inspirational Woman award.
- The AVIT Exceptional Mother award was presented to five single mothers from financially poor background who had toiled hard to educate their children. Three outstanding students from AVIT campus were conferred with the Young Women Achiever’s award. Ms. Sunkrutha. S from II year EEE was conferred the Young Women Achiever’s award in recognition of her outstanding performance in classical arts and for being part of setting a new Guinness record. In addition Ms. Monika Sharma of III year civil was awarded for her achievements in the visual media and Ms. Rachel Hephzibah of III year B. Arch was awarded for her innovations in the field of Architecture and design. Dr. M Ponnavaiko, the Provost of Vinayaka Missions Research Foundation gave the felicitation. Prizes for the events conducted as part of the Women’s day celebration were distributed to students and Faculty. Dr. R. Shanmugavalli, Director of FAS delivered the Vote of Thanks.